When it comes to things that you don’t want to get wrong in your home, pest management is probably at the top of your list.
After all, ineffective pest eradication can not only leave you stuck with unwanted creepy crawlies, but also threaten the safety of your family and the structural integrity of your home. On top of that, the costs can really add up over time.
That’s why you want to get it right the first time. Here’s how to choose the best pest control services right off the bat.
What should I look for when hiring a local exterminator?
Step one to eliminating your pest problem once and for all? Finding the right expert to get the job done. When evaluating professionals and searching for the right team, you’ll want to tick the following boxes to make sure your budget, home and health are taken care of.
Step #1 - Figure out what you’re dealing with
First, we recommend that you start by figuring out what type of pest you’re dealing with and how to get rid of them. Doing your research and having this information on-hand will help you evaluate experts and their offerings/pricing. It will also help you avoid costly pitfalls and snake oil solutions to your pesky pest problems.
If you’re unsure what type of infestation you’re dealing with, reach out on 07 3269 4939 and we’ll be happy to provide guidance.
Complete Pest Control Tip: If you’re noticing hollow-sounding walls, bubbling paint on gyprock, or mud trails leading up the walls of your home, you may have a termite problem!
Step #2 - Collect recommendations
Talk to your friends, family, and neighbours about any solution that they’ve used, and what (or who) they recommend. Friends and loved ones will alway provide unvarnished reviews of teams and services, so you’re likely to get a review you can trust.
Step #3 - Make sure they offer the right services
You want to make sure that the company you’re looking at actually offers pest control services for the unwanted visitors that you’re struggling with. Additionally, pest companies can often offer:
- Inspection: If you have a new home or you haven’t completed a thorough inspection in a significant amount of time, we recommend that you start any engagement with a thorough inspection of the space. This will not only help you identify the source of the problem that you’re dealing with, but also allow you to identify any other issues that you may not be aware of yet (so you can stop them before they percolate).
- Treatment: This can include traps, removal, bait, and extermination.
- Prevention: Unfortunately, once a problem is removed, it doesn’t mean that it will be gone forever. The right team will provide ongoing prevention and maintenance services to help fortify and protect your home long-term.
What questions should I ask a pest company?
When you’re interviewing potential providers, make sure you ask the right questions. Specifically, you should ask the following questions:
- “Can I see your licence, registration, certificates, and insurance?” You must verify the status of any team’s licence and make sure that they’re properly backed and skilled to complete the task and hand.
- “Do you offer pet-friendly and safe pesticide solutions?” You never want harsh chemicals in your home, especially if you can avoid it with less toxic alternatives. This is especially true if you have small children or pets that can be easily exposed. It’s important, then, that you ask about what kind of methods, baits, and traps they use (and if they’re willing to opt for non-toxic options).
- “Can you inspect my site and provide an obligation-free quote?” The company should be able to inspect your space. Subsequently, they should be able to provide you with a written diagnosis of the problem. This should identify the pest and provide proposed solutions (as well as a cost estimate). If any of this information is missing or unclear, it may be a red flag.
- “Can I see the contract before we get started?” You should be able to review your contract before you get started, and it should include the company name, the start date, the treatment duration, the price, and the company’s guarantee. Here, the guarantee is particularly important, as it will lay out the company’s responsibility and willingness to help should the problem recur down the line.
- “How can I stop pests from returning?” Oftentimes, there are changes that you can make to your habits or to the physical structure of your home that can help resolve recurring pest concerns. For example, you can make sure there is no food out to discourage rodents and cockroaches. Similarly, you can seal up any holes to keep termites from getting into your home. The right team will know what you need to do to avoid pest problems down the line – and they will be happy to share this information with you.
Is it worth hiring professional pest services?
In many instances, the answer to this question is “yes.” Pest services are particularly worthwhile if you resonate with any of the following statements…
✘ You’re not sure where the pests are coming from, and you can’t easily or effectively deal with the source of the problem.
✘ You have a large or overwhelming infestation.
✘ You notice that the problem cannot be resolved with an over-the-counter hardware store solution.
✘ You notice that the problem is worsening despite your best efforts.
However, if you’re unsure, you can always schedule an inspection. One of our team members will be happy to check out your space and make targeted treatment recommendations.
Don’t underestimate the power of hiring a pro
If you notice a stray bug in your home, don’t freak out!
It may not mean that you need an exterminator. However, if you notice several bugs (living or dead) or other signs of an infestation – like droppings, wood shavings, or even eggs (yikes!) – it may be time to call in a professional. This will not only get rid of the pest, but also provide peace of mind that you’re protecting yourself from any diseases or structural damages that they may introduce into your home.
If you have any further questions about your options – or you would like to get a customised quote for your particular pest problem – we encourage you to contact us directly on 07 5498 8517. You can also contact us directly by filling out the form here and one of our team members will get back to you as soon as possible.